Tuesday, May 10, 2011

BBD Longboard Race






More images from the race. It was along day on Lookout Mountain. Started the day at 9a.m. wit the race starting at 10a.m. It was my first time to cover this event so didn't know what to expect. So i just went to the hairpin turn and waited for the racers to come through. After watching a few go by, it seemed like no one was going to hit the hay bails that were along the guard rails. As soon as i thought that, one race plowed in to the bail. all m luck, i'm on the wrong side. So i moved across from the bails and made a couple photo from there. It was tough walking the 1.1 mile course carrying all my gear. I had two D3 bodies with a 17-35 zoom and a 70-200 zoom. One D3s with the 200-400. I decided to head up the mountain and not shoot the finals had enough of what i needed to get. i was maybe little over half the way up and on turn one when i saw above me a helicopter that was filming the final race. It seemed too low and thought something wrong was going to happen. Sure enough, not more than 10 seconds after i saw it above me, I heard a loud pop and the announcer at the finish line screaming "The helicopter carshed! The Helicopter Crashed!" I ran down the hill carrying more than 15lbs of gear, down a steep grade, cameras banging against each other and slowly losing my breathe. When i go to the scene, the photogs and pilot were already out. The only thing i go was the copter in a nose down position. Oh well, at least i had that. I was pretty close to getting in my car and driving off. If i had, the editors would have asked if i had any photos of the copter. If i didn't, i probably would have had to gone back to the mountain to try to salvage the shoot. Are are a few more shots of the race and the copter.

No comments:

Post a Comment